Split Pea & Ham Soup
- 3 lbs. dried split peas
- 3 lbs. chopped ham
- 2 ham hocks and/or a ham bone
- 1 c. butter
- 6 c. finely chopped mirepoix
- 1/4 c. minced garlic
- 6 qt. water or stock
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- Soak peas for 8 hours or overnight and drain.
- Score ham hocks, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer one hour. If using a raw ham bone, roast it in the oven until it starts to brown.
- Melt the butter, add the mirepoix, and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic to the mirepoix and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the ham and the hocks and cook until beginning to brown.
- Add the peas, salt, pepper, and red pepper and heat through.
- Add the liquid, bay leaves, thyme, and the ham bone if you have one, and simmer until the peas are tender, adding water as needed.
- Add cream and sherry to taste and serve.
recipes/split_pea_ham_soup.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/26 22:11 by Celti